Loading, please wait...

Lapis Lazuli Bead Necklace String Lapis Lazuli Bead Necklace String Lapis Lazuli Bead Necklace String
Use mousewheel to zoom in and out, click to enlarge
Details

LOT 1926

Lapis Lazuli Bead Necklace String

20TH CENTURY A.D.

13 3/4 in. (44.2 grams, 35 cm).

Restrung group of tabular, annular and other types with D-shaped pendant centrepiece. [No Reserve]

Provenance

London, UK, collection, 2000s.

CONDITION
VETTING:

TimeLine Auctions follows a vetting process to ensure the authenticity and legality of all items, reinforcing our commitment to integrity and responsible trading. Each antiquity, antique, and coin lot undergoes thorough examination by a vetting committee of at least ten external specialists, professional trade association members, scientists, and archaeologists: Our Vetting Process


AUCTIONS:

TimeLine is a leading auction house specialising in antiquities, ancient art, collectables, natural history, coins, medals, and books. Our auctions offer museums, collectors, historians, and enthusiasts the opportunity to acquire unique and historically significant pieces.

LOT 1926

Lapis Lazuli Bead Necklace String

Sold for (Inc. bp): £52

Print page

RELATED LOTS
  • Painted Wooden Icon with the Virgin of Tenderness
    Painted Wooden Icon with the Virgin of Tenderness
    Russia, 16th-17th centuries A.D.

    Estimate: £3,000 - 4,000 (+bp*)

    Opening Bid: £1,500

    Executed in oil and tempera with painted image of nimbate Mary embracing the nimbate infant Jesus; head of Mary with gilded nimbus and russet-coloured veil; the Virgin is shown in half length, wearing a red-gold fringed maphorion with elaborate golden saltires on the shoulders, over a dark blue robe, visible only on the gold embroidered cuffs; the child touching his mother's chin, holding a furled scroll in his left hand and dressed in blue tunic and wrapped in a gold-orange shawl; on upper left of the Virgin’s head Greek inscriptions 'ΜΡ ΘΥ' (Μήτηρ (τοῦ) Θεοῦ = Mother of God) and beside the Divine Child inscription in Greek letters 'ΙϹ ΧϹ' (ΙΗϹΟΥϹ ΧΡΙϹΤΟϹ = Jesus Christ); inside the nimbus of Christ three letters (only two visible) representing the continuous divine self-existence of Christ as God (O ѾN = The Only One who always exists); rectangular wooden board with mounting slots and bar to reverse. 1.78 kg, 45 x 35.5 cm



    Acquired on the UK art market. Private collection, London, UK. Accompanied by an academic report by Dr Raffaele D'Amato. This lot has been checked against the Interpol Database of stolen works of art and is accompanied by search certificate number no.12928-246333.

    This splendid specimen comes most probably from an ancient private aristocratic Russian household. It has a superb quality and consists in a refined representation of the Mother of God known as Eleousa (Umilyenie in Russian), in which the Virgin tenderly embraces the Christ Child. Characterised by an affectionate embrace of Mary and the Christ Child, the image combines the themes of maternal love and the Passion of Christ.

    Lot Details

  • Large Post Medieval Bronze Plaque
    Large Post Medieval Bronze Plaque
    19th century A.D.

    Sold for (Inc. bp): £26

    Discoid in plan and slightly domed with loop to the edge; central facing bust wearing a diadem; field with embossed rosettes and other ornament. 118 grams, 10.5 cm



    From the collection of a Buckinghamshire, UK, collector established from the earlier 1960s.

    Lot Details

  • Large Painted Wooden Icon of Mother of God of Tikhvin
    Large Painted Wooden Icon of Mother of God of Tikhvin
    Russia, 16th century A.D.

    Estimate: £5,000 - 7,000 (+bp*)

    Opening Bid: £2,500

    Oil and tempera, depicting the Virgin Mary and the infant Jesus on a plain gold field; Mary wearing a red maphorion mantle over a blue robe, with golden brocade to the hem, in the style of Hodegetria (She who shows the way); the Virgin pointing at Jesus with her right hand, while looking towards the spectator; the infant facing left, resting on Mary's left arm, dressed in white tunic, wrapped in a red-orange shawl, right hand blessing the mother, left hand extended holding a scroll of the Holy Scriptures, while crossing his legs to reveal the naked sole of one of his feet; very effaced Greek inscriptions in red lettering 'ΜΡ ΘΥ (Μήτηρ (τοῦ) Θεοῦ = Mother of God)' flanking Mary's head; inscription in Greek 'ΙϹ ΧϹ' (ΙΗϹΟΥϹ ΧΡΙϹΤΟϹ = Jesus Christ) above the infant; rectangular wooden board with mounting bars to reverse and old collector's label 'Vierge Hodigitria, type Tikhvin, Icone russe du 16eme siècle, achetée á Constantinople…chez Monsieur Captain…peinture transmise sur nouvelle planche [Virgin Hodigitria, Tikhvin type, Russian icon from the 16th century, purchased in Constantinople...from Monsieur Captain...painting moved on a new board]'; border with pointillé lozenges and other detailing. 4.7 kg, 70.3 x 52.5 cm



    Acquired on the UK art market. Private collection, London, UK. Accompanied by an academic report by Dr Raffaele D’Amato. This lot has been checked against the Interpol Database of stolen works of art and is accompanied by search certificate number no. 19929-246334.

    According to the legend, this particular icon of the Mother of God appeared in Rus' in 1383 near Veliky Novgorod over Lake Ladoga, and travelled through the air to the Tikhvin River, stopping at several points along the way and performing miracles. On Tikhvin, where the icon came to rest, a stone Dormition Cathedral was built by order of Grand Prince of Moscow Vasil III in 1515, and in 1560, Ivan the Terrible founded the Tikhvin Dormition Monastery near this cathedral. In 1613, the Dormition Monastery withstood the Swedish invasion, and in 1617, the Treaty of Stolbovo was concluded with Sweden. These events were associated with the miraculous intercession of the icon. Until 1936, the icon was kept in the Dormition Cathedral. In 1936, services in the cathedral were discontinued, and the icon was housed in various churches in Tikhvin. In November 1941, Tikhvin was occupied by German troops. The icon was taken abroad and remained in Chicago since the 1950s. In 2004, the icon was again ceremoniously transferred to the Dormition Cathedral of the Tikhvin Monastery.

    Lot Details

Stay up-to-date with the latest from TimeLine Auctions by joining our mailing list